The goal of the Advanced Splitboard Course is to further develop your decision making and terrain management skills. This course emphasizes advanced trip planning techniques, advanced route selection and terrain assessment, rescue techniques and scenarios, and emergency shelter construction. Students will gain leadership experience by leading tours during which communication, group dynamics, and risk-management will be addressed. The course will span 2 days and 1 night in the backcountry, with an overnight in abackcountry hut.
Topics to be covered include:
- Beacon, shovel, and probe review, including beacon drills
- Advanced trip planning, terrain selection, and navigation with a map and compass
- Leadership skills
- Planning and execution of overnight winter camping, including emergency shelter construction
- Whiteout navigation
- Avalanche mock rescue scenarios
- And ripping some awesome turns!
Backcountry Touring Options:
Split boards are snowboards that are halved down the middle. They can be used as ascension skis during uphill travel, accompanied by skins, and rejoined as a single unit for descent. Split boards offer the resort rider an efficient for resort skiers to experience the backcountry.
Families, groups and singles are welcome. No experience is necessary, and we welcome all age, ability, and fitness levels. Whether by day tour, overnight hut trip or otherwise, we’ll customize to suit your wishes.
What to bring:
- Beacon/probe/shovel (rental available)
- *No cotton – cotton does not wick moisture or insulate when wet.
- Synthetic or wool long underwear bottom (thin)
- Synthetic or wool long sleeve top (medium)
- Mid layer top and bottom
- Synthetic or wool socks
- Winter jacket
- Insulated “Puffy” Jacket
- Snow pants
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Hat and neck gaiter or balaclava
- Goggles or sunglasses
- Small day pack
- Water bottle
- Extra wool or synthetic socks
You may also want to consider:
- Hand warmers
- Hot liquid
- Liner socks
- Adjustable Poles
- Small day pack
- Extra gloves
- Lip balm
- Water bottle insulator